Pages

Tuesday 28 October 2014

28 October 2014

You know the drill by now.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Westward Ho! Massive Letdown
Unalloyed joy with the release of a new HMHB record. Urge For Offal is the title, it's as good as they've ever been and this is track one from it.

I, Ludicrous - Cheer Up
New track from these, part of the 21 Songs For John selection on the Unwashed Territories bandcamp page commemorating ten years since the death of John Peel.  Available for a short time still.

Postcode - Losing The Battle
Don't think we've had a band from the Isle of Man before. Consider that rectified. From the album Zebratronic which came out in February.

Cover Version Corner
Tubeway Army/Gary Numan - Are 'Friends' Electric?
Bit of a cheat this, but shows you how his sound has developed since 1979. I went to see him play at Holmfirth earlier in the year and his band are really tight.

The Ex - Maybe I Was The Pilot
From a few years ago now, 2011, some shoegazing from Amsterdam. Super stuff. Off the album Catch My Shoe.

Miss Mobile Home - Phototaxis
To New York now and the title track from an EP that came out in August. Available from their bandcamp and soundcloud pages.

Elemental Gaze - God Knows Why This Should Be Kept For All Time
The third band we've had from Bandung in Indonesia. That's superb. Don't ask me to explain the title though.

Cambodia Space Project - Whiskey Cambodia
And now to Cambodia. Well, involving musicians from all over, but the point stands. I was actually looking for another track of theirs, but this won me over. From an album of the same name that came out in June.

Mega Emotion - Uncomfortable
And now to Norwich. We've had these on before, but I've little else to report than that.

One Degree of Separation
Eight Rounds Rapid - Talent
The Salient Braves - X-Factor Shooting Spree
First, from highlight of 2013 Lossleader and then from a band from Barnsley I've come across in the last few days. The theme should be obvious - excoriation of TV talent shows.

Interpol - My Desire (Factory Floor remix)
Factory Floor produced one of the albums of the year, Interpol's El Pintor isn't half bad either. Mix them together and you get this complete banger.

Orbital - Wonky
Terrible news in the week that Orbital are no more. Having got back together in 2012 following an eight-year hiatus, they've now split for good. Damn shame as it means no more of this.

Cuban Boys - The Nation Needs You (2014)
Another one from the 21 Songs for John compilation, an updated version of their 1999 record which must have been a lot of fun to put together. I think it's safe to say that without John Peel, I wouldn't be doing this kind of thing. A fitting tribute, I think.

Here's that on YouTube:



and Soundcloud:


and I'll see you next week.

No comments: