Pages

Monday 25 February 2013

25 February 2013

Another cosmopolitan show this week, featuring a first trip to Belgium.

Primal Scream - 2013
John: Back recording after five years, there's an album due in May called 'Morelight'. That's four minutes and some, but there's a full nine minute version.
Carolyn: I'd always be wary of naming a record after a year. Limits your market somewhat.

The Jim Jones Revue - Where Da Money Go?
John: Rockabilly for a new generation, that's a slice of Americana from London. Off last year's album 'The Savage Heart'.
Carolyn: I'm not sure what it is, genre-wise. I'll have a think.

Schizo Fun Addict - Make A Stand
John: I don't know a lot about these other than they're from New York and are taking psychedelia in new directions to a new audience. I've heard about half a dozen of their records and really like it. As best I know, that's from 2005.

Cover Version Corner
Isley Jasper Isley/The Housemartins - Caravan Of Love
John: Two very different versions. Two-thirds of the Isley brothers and their brother in-law from 1985 with a very dated soul number which the Housemartins did acapella a year later. Only the second acapella record to make it to number one.
Carolyn: Flying Pickets?
John: Exactly.

Balthazar - Sinking Ships
John: I promised you Belgian and here it is. Off the album 'Rats' which is out today, so we're bang up to date.
Carolyn: It's not all waffles and beer then.

Goat - Run To Your Mama
John: To Sweden now, and these are from a town called Korpilombolo which I have no doubt pronounced badly. That's from last year's album 'World Music' and is that a bhangra type of sound I detect?
Carolyn: Yeah, a little bit. Similar cues, for sure.

Julian Cope - Trampolene
John: We've not had new stuff from Mr Cope for a while, but we can make do with a re-issue of 'Saint Julian' which this comes from. It's 25 years old and I bought it when it came out. I always was a huge fan.

Flume - Sleepless
John: Australia now, and Flume is Harley Stretten from Sydney and the album 'Flume' came out earlier this month.

John Cooper Clarke - I Don't Want To Be Nice
John: The Bard of Salford himself, seeing as you expressed a fondness for spoken word last week.
Carolyn: Well I meant tracks that involve someone speaking rather than poetry, but yeah.
John: I see. Well I'll try and find some others then. That's from 1978, a period in which he recorded a few albums of poems set to music. That one comes off 'Disguise In Love', but the recording is from an edition of The Old Grey Whistle Test.



One Degree of Separation
Death In Vegas - Aisha
Goran Bregovic - Get The Money
John: Goran Bregovic is a Bosnian musician and that track is from the soundtrack to the 1993 film Arizona Dream that starred Johnny Depp, Jerry Lewis and Faye Dunaway. The Death In Vegas track is from the 1999 album 'The Contino Sessions' and featured on the soundtrack to Gran Turismo 3, the computer game.
Carolyn: And the link? Not soundtracks, because that would be rubbish.
John: Both feature vocals by Iggy Pop.

Judy Street - What
John: How about a bit of Northern Soul? Originally recorded in 1968, this was a smash on the Northern Soul scene a decade later and got a re-release in 1977 and is still cracking.

King Creosote - On The Night Of The Bonfire
John: Kenny Anderson records under the name King Creosote, prolifically so. That's off the 2010 album 'That Might Be It, Darling' and he's one of those rarities that sing in their own accent. Fife, in this case.
Carolyn: Yeah, I got that.

Two Door Cinema Club - Next Year
John: I'm not sure about this. It's had plenty of airplay, but I just don't know if I like it or not.
Carolyn: I know we've had these before a couple of times. It's alright, that.
John: It's the new single from the album 'Beacon' which came out last summer. It's not bad, but is it enough to get excited about? I still can't make my mind up.

Lonnie Donegan - Don't You Rock Me Daddy-O
John: I play this for a couple of reasons. First, I like Lonnie Donegan. Second, because I hear a lot about Jake Bugg and it's my theory that he's a cheap Donegan knock-off. So why have that when you can have this?

More next week. In the meantime, here's your YouTube playlist.

No comments: